I enjoyed most of the ending of the book. I liked this love triangle much better than most in other books. I liked it because the two boys fighting over Adeline actually become friends and respect each other, and Louis helps Theodore and his father reunite. This is much different than the love triangle in Castle of Otranto.
The thing about this book that I most liked was the development of Adeline's character. In the beginning she is a winey, scared little girl who just wants pity. She thought she had lived this hard, grueling life in the convent. What she didn't realize was that her life got much harder when there were powerful, creepy men wanting to marry her, and also powerful, creepy men wanting to kill her. She learned that there was no time to wallow in self pity, if she wanted to stay alive, she had to stay on her toes and take every opportunity given to her. All the hardships she endured made her the virtuous girl that she became. Even though she ends up being in the elite class in the end, she is a lot different than most of the other elite's. She knows what it is like on the other side and does not look down or take advantage of those less fortunate.
In the beginning of the book Adeline is this annoying, helpless little girl that I found VERY annoying. I thought she was going to be my least favorite character in the book. In the end however, after watching her grow, she became my favorite.
I completely agree with you about Adeline's character. I feel like in this day, this is what people in our society talk about when they describe someone as "worldly". Meaning, they have seen everything about the world that makes people who they are. From going to poverty stricken towns to the wealthiest cities on earth. They learn that it doesn't matter what rank a person is in society. What matters is their attitude and character as a whole.
ReplyDeleteAdeline was definitely a whiner in the beginning of the book, so it was great to see her transformation into a strong, independent woman. I don't know if you thought it was weird, but the sudden change from the old abbey to traveling throughout the world seemed like a strange transition and out of place for awhile. Overall, Romance of the Forest was pretty good and a great female Gothic work, but I wish it could just be shorter.
ReplyDelete