Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Castle of Otranto

Since this is my first blog, I am not really sure what to write about.  I will start by saying I was a little disturbed with this book.  I know that most gothic novels have incest and such, but it still freaks me out!  I almost consider going after your son's supposed to be wife worse then making out with your sister.  Although, it seemed to me that the son was not very loved anyways so maybe Manfred was just using his son to get to Isabella.

What I liked most about this book was the moral it taught (well the one that stuck out most to me).  I thought the overall theme of the book was that you can't fight fate.  The fate that was left on Manfred and his family was inevitable.  There is basically no way to save anybody from a giant helmet falling on their head.  I am a huge believer in what is meant to be will find a way.  When things happen you might not always know why, and it might seem unfair but everything happens for a reason, even if you can't see that reason right away.

well I don't really have much more to say right now... next time I will definitely plan what I am going to write before hand!

1 comment:

  1. Castle of Ortranto was very interesting in all of the things that had been stated in the beginning of the novel and how in the end they all came true and the only thing that seemed to be able to change was the path of how the characters ended up at their true fate. Incest indeed was a strange issue that seemed to be appearing and how the family eventually seemed to cave in on itself because of the desire of incest.

    ReplyDelete